Monday, August 3, 2009

Guest Blogger.....Sam Melchior

Hello! I met Sam during Summer Experience at McGary, and I asked him to share his thoughts after attending ACT training this summer in North Carolina.

Sam Melchior here. It has been 2 weeks since attending applied control theory(ACT) training and I have had time to reflect. Control theory is not new to me as we applied it to some degree at Christa McAuliffe years ago when I first started there. What this training does, however, is give you a controlled environment to practice specific aspects of control theory and have immediate discussion and feedback as to its effectiveness. The 4 days were very intense which allows the information to become engrained in your thinking. I have already used some techniques with a couple of family matters and it works. As more staff become trained I think we will see discipline referrals decrease significantly. One of the reasons is that the first step is relationship building, which done well, naturally leads to mutual respect and caring. if that is far as it goes we can usually get the most our students can offer. My goal is to take the next 2 phases and gain a certification. My recommendation is that all staff strongly consider completing at least ACT 1.

Sam Melchior

Go Pacers! :)

1 comment:

  1. Sam,
    It is refreshing to hear control theory is alive & well in Evansville. Your reflections strike a strong cord with me. The mutual respect and caring are - to me - the ultimate goal in spreading the positives of ACT. Strong relationships open doors in all aspects of your life. Look forward to your next ACT session; it will both 'pump you up' and leave you with a deeper understanding of yourself.

    ReplyDelete