Saturday, January 31, 2009

Guest blogger!!! Kim Johnson, Principal of Lincoln Elementary

Many of the things learned and practiced during PCT Training were not entirely new to me. I tend to approach discipline by asking questions, i.e. Why are you here? What did you do? Did you get what you wanted? Was it worth it?. etc. However, the training has helped me be more focused and intent with my questions. Before, I just asked questions without knowing exactly where they would lead.

I had the opportunity to put my new skills into practice right away on Monday.

Me: What did you want?
Student: To get my library book from my locker.
Me: What did you do?
Student: I asked very politely if I could go to my locker.
Me: And did it work?
Student: No, she told me I couldn't.
Me: So what did you do?
Student: Nothing
Me: So why are you here?
Student: Because when we returned to the room, I asked to use the restroom. We had the chance to go earlier but I didn't need to.
Me: So you wanted to use the restroom.
Student: Yes
Me: What did you do?
Students: I asked politely if I could go use it.
Me: Did that work?
Student: She said I could but I would need to lose recess.
Me: What did you want?
Student: To use the restroom but I didn't want to lose recess.
Me: What did you do?
Student: I used it but now I have to miss recess.
Me: So you got what you wanted, the chance to use the restroom.
Student: Yeah, but I shouldn't have to miss recess.
Me: Could you have chosen not to use the restroom and still have your recess?
Student: Yes, but I would have used it on myself.
Me: So it sounds like you made a good decision. I'll see you at recess.

This is a repeat offender who does a lot of playing around to avoid doing what is asked. I remained calm, he remained calm and could see that he chose not to have recess, and I was able to support my teacher. The bottom line (and we know that there are 'bottom lines') is that he must do what his teacher asks him to do, even if it does not make him happy.

The other major thing I discovered upon returning to school is the common language that I now share with my counselor, social worker, and the two teachers who joined us in training. At this point, we think it would be helpful for all staff to participate in ACT 1 so that we can share a common language in regards to behavior. This is similar to what we have done through extensive PD in reading with good results.

A big part of PCT is being reflective of our own behaviors. What I want now is to be productive. What I am going to do is take in a movie with my daughter. And yes, that works for me in being the kind of mom I want to be. (I am not even going to go look at her room!)

Keep warm,
Kim

1 comment:

  1. I believe that uniformity is beneficial when dealing with discipline problems. I like two things especially. The fact that the point was made that each part was the students choice, and the other is that now that the choice was made we follow through on our part. The fact that the teacher left an option to use the restroom with an negative deterrent is great. That way restroom emergencies will not be used to often.

    ReplyDelete